One thing social distancing taught us is that we don’t need to leave the comfort of our home to stay connected and have fun.
Here are some fun, creative, and entertaining ways for Bigs and Littles to stay connected even if they can see each other in person, or just want to hang out at home.
- Schedule weekly / bi-weekly check-ins over the phone, email, text, or video call – stay connected!
- Come up with a few accomplishable goals you can each achieve at home and have weekly check-ins on progress. For example, books read, becoming a better cook, art projects, fitness goals, etc.
- Think of at least 5 questions to ask your Little during each virtual visit.
- Play a game of “Would You Rather” or one of these games via FaceTime
- Download fun educational apps that Bigs and Littles work on together
- Watch a Broadway Musical online and check out “The Shows Must Go On!”
- Take a virtual field trip.
- Take a virtual Car Trip through the USA
- Share Self-Care Tips with your Little (i.e. wash hands, limit screen time, exercise, meditate/mindfulness, read books, talk to people who care about you, etc.)
- Watch a Lunch Doodle video and show your doodles to each other over video call, text, or email
- Color and craft with Crayola
- Build one of these construction, building, and woodworking projects.
- Explore and learn by doing fun water activities and experiments.
- Take a dance class together.
- Create vision boards – separately or shared on Google docs
- Learn a magic trick to share.
- Write short stories back and forth to each other (virtual or snail mail)
- Compete against each other in online gaming (PC, PS4, XBox, etc.)
- Virtually tour 2500+ museums together via Google Arts & Culture.
- Become Big/Little pen pals! Exchange letters and postcards with one another. Give your Little a letter-writing start-up kit with stationery, stickers, and a sheet of postage stamps to get things going.
- Big/Little Book Club – Call and discuss a book together
- Practice Gratitude: Watch this video and come up with 10 things you’re grateful for.
- Choose an article from Teaching Tolerance to read and discuss.
- Watch 15 streaming Movies that Celebrate Diversity
- Watch an Educational Show on Netflix and discuss.
For more ideas, check out our Facebook Page.
Send Big Sisters of Greater Racine a list of ways YOU can connect remotely with your match. We might add your ideas to share with other matches who may benefit from your ideas!